"Friendly, efficient and confidence in her diagnosis"

About: Crosshouse Hospital / Trauma & orthopaedics

I recently hurt my back in a fall, twisting as I landed causing severe pain in my lower back. I waited 24 hours, hoping the pain would ease off but it didn't. My husband drove me to Crosshouse Hospital A&E department. I arrived, gave my details to reception and took a seat. I was seen by a triage nurse after approximately 20 minutes and taken straight through to a treatment room to await consultation. After a few minutes, another nurse gave me a gown to change into and a short time later, Gemma the physiotherapist came and asked relevant questions in a friendly and efficient manner. She examined me and decided that nothing was broken but I had deep muscle trauma. I was offered the option to wait for a doctor to examine me but I had confidence in her diagnosis so declined. I was also offered strong painkillers but as I have stomach issues, I decided to stick with the paracetamol and was given advice on how to move and a leaflet with exercises to do to keep me mobile. I left the hospital around an hour after so was not there for a long time altogether.

Dear Sky302,

I am sorry you hurt your back but glad you found the service to be quick and efficient. Having confidence in your professional is so important and when it comes with a smile it makes such a difference; I am so glad that was your experience. I will pass this to the team and Gemma in particular. you will have made her day I am sure.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know your story and I hope you have a rapid recover.

Best wishes,