"Long term Parking fees"

About: East Surrey Hospital / General surgery

My sister and I have been visiting our mother in East Surrey hospital for a few months. Between us we go every other day.

I arrive at the hospital by 3. 45 pm each day and usually leave at 7 pm. on average we have been spending £20 per week each on parking. Sometimes it has been more if she is very poorly. One night between us it was £17.

This does not include my children and our nephew and his children.

If we knew the money went to help fund the hospital, if would help towards the wonderful treatment our Mother has received. But unfortunately, I don't think this is the case.

It is very difficult financially to sustain these hefty parking fees and we feel that we would like to express our dissatisfaction to you.

Dear Britvic,

Thank you for your comments about car parking.

We offer discount tickets for situations such as yours. For £3 per day you can park all day at the hospital and you can get one of these"Green" tickets from the ward that your mother is on. At the present time that is the maximum discount we offer.

All money received for car parking goes back into the hospital - for example the charges have helped fund a 37% increase in the number of spaces at East Surrey Hospital in the last two years. If we didn't have these charges then money would need be taken from direct care budgets to help support car parking. We know that accessible car parking is important to our visitors and that is why we have reinvested money in this way and it is extremely rare for there to be a queue to park. This includes the golf club car park which is actually hospital property.

I am of course very pleased to read that you are so happy with the care that your mother is receiving.