"Eye problem"

About: Galloway Community Hospital / Ophthalmology

For around 2 and a half years I have been suffering a eye problem where tears continually run, often when driving or speaking with people. Because I have to wipe it, the skin around the eye area often becomes inflamed.

After an initial appointment with my gp and advised to use eye drops etc, the problem continued. I reattended my gp and advised to stop using drops, I was then referred to a consultant.

I got my appointment a few months later for September, and tests were done which were inconclusive. My outpatient appointments since then have been cancelled. The consultant called around Christmas apologising for the wait, and said I would be seen very soon as I was outwith the target time.

My next appointment was then cancelled on the morning of my appointment for Stranraer, I then received another appointment for Dumfries (75 miles away)and it was cancelled the day before, as it was Dumfries I also had to arrange for a family member to be off work to drive me home as the procedure affects your eye sight.

I am feeling that my care has been poor. There are clearly issues within the service to allow this this to not be picked up and timely appointments be offered. I have waited 10 months to see the consultant and the problem is starting to drive me mad.

Response from Michaela Cannon, Patient Feedback and Complaints Co-ordinator, Patient Services, NHS Dumfries & Galloway

Dear Jimmy1610,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I am really sorry to hear that you are having difficulties with your eyes and that you have experienced delays in getting appropriate treatment.

I would like to look into this matter further for you and in order to be able to do so, I would be grateful if you could contact me either by telephone or email - Dumf-uhb.PatientServices@nhs or 01387 272733 to provide full details of your concerns.