"Eye problem"

About: Galloway Community Hospital / Ophthalmology

For around 2 and a half years I have been suffering a eye problem where tears continually run, often when driving or speaking with people. Because I have to wipe it, the skin around the eye area often becomes inflamed.

After an initial appointment with my gp and advised to use eye drops etc, the problem continued. I reattended my gp and advised to stop using drops, I was then referred to a consultant.

I got my appointment a few months later for September, and tests were done which were inconclusive. My outpatient appointments since then have been cancelled. The consultant called around Christmas apologising for the wait, and said I would be seen very soon as I was outwith the target time.

My next appointment was then cancelled on the morning of my appointment for Stranraer, I then received another appointment for Dumfries (75 miles away)and it was cancelled the day before, as it was Dumfries I also had to arrange for a family member to be off work to drive me home as the procedure affects your eye sight.

I am feeling that my care has been poor. There are clearly issues within the service to allow this this to not be picked up and timely appointments be offered. I have waited 10 months to see the consultant and the problem is starting to drive me mad.

Response from Michaela Cannon, Patient Feedback and Complaints Co-ordinator, Patient Services, NHS Dumfries & Galloway

Dear Jimmy1610,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I am really sorry to hear that you are having difficulties with your eyes and that you have experienced delays in getting appropriate treatment.

I would like to look into this matter further for you and in order to be able to do so, I would be grateful if you could contact me either by telephone or email - Dumf-uhb.PatientServices@nhs or 01387 272733 to provide full details of your concerns.

Update posted by Jimmy1610 (the patient)

After a bit of phoning and emails I soon got an appointment in August in Dumfries (75miles ) but that was fine. I had a good informative appointment and confirmed that I would need a small procedure and would be sometime soon. I informed the consultant that I would not be Available in October. I was told then it might be November or I would know then at least when I would be seen again. Well September,October and November have come and gone and zero correspondence. At least if I was told 2017 it would be something.

I contacted the appointment centre who stated that they couldn't make the appointment it would need to be the consultant's secretary. They were then contacted and I was told it was the appointment centre after all and got put through to them. They then stated that it was indeed them who would action the appointment. I was then told that there was no clinic available. So once again I'm left hanging. No correspondence, no appointments and no clue as to what's happening....Poor service.

Response from Joan Pollard, Associate Director of Allied Health Professions, NHS Dumfries and Galloway

Dear Jimmy1610

Jimmy, I would like to see if I can help you with this. In order to do that I will need some further information. Please email me on jpollard@nhs.net providing me with your name, address and date of birth and any further information you may be able to give me around which consultant etc.

Many thanks