"Hip-Replacement Operation Summer 2016"

About: The Whittington Hospital

Recently I spent four days as an in-patient in Thorogood ward undergoing a hip-replacement operation - a fairly-major operation. Although now a commonplace procedure, inevitably the prospect makes you feel rather anxious; but I needn’t have worried because the care I received was excellent. All the staff I came into contact with were friendly, positive and helpful, whether nurses, care assistants, physiotherapists or porters. Nothing was too much trouble, and information about procedures and timescales was readily available; on the day of the operation doctors checked in advance that I knew what would happen and when, and they also checked back afterwards on how I felt. Once back at home a nurse made contact with me to discuss my progress. Cleanliness in my ward also seemed to be excellent, with cleaners doing the rounds quite a few times a day.

At a time when hospitals and medical staff often seem to be on the receiving end of adverse criticism it was heartening to be able to say that I have benefitted myself from outstanding nursing and well-co-ordinated care.

Response from The Whittington Hospital

Hello Norman

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent experience with us - we really appreciate it. We're glad to hear that your operation went well and that our staff were able to make you feel more relaxed and reassured about the procedure. We hope you're doing well!