"cold people"

About: Scunthorpe General Hospital

Had gallbladder out 8th july 2016 , because of concerns over stopping breathing when i am asleep the anesthetist decided to keep me in overnight. I was put on HOBS ward 28. Although the nurses did their job very efficiently I felt a distinct lack of warmth or personality from them.

I felt because I wasn't as poorly as the other three people in that bay that they didn't really see why I should be there.

I tried so hard to break through this coldness but it was pointless.

At one point my drip made a bleeping sound which meant it needed changing and I asked the nurse what it was for and they told me but then said they had told the doctor they didn't think I needed one but as they had written it up for me they had to give me it.

They were reluctant to help me get my legs into bed and I was really struggling at this point.

When I was sat in a chair it had wheels on so as I tried to get up it rolled back and I fell back in it. the staff nurse just stood there getting impatient and didn't offer to help at all. They actually said "come on " in an impatient voice. Like I say the practical nursing care was carried out very efficiently and I do not want to make an official complaint, it is hard to describe how people make you feel, but they did make me feel very unwanted and like i was a nuisance, it was not MY fault I was put there I just really feel I wanted to get it off my chest because I can't get it out of my mind. Later the next day I was taken to Ward 28 to be discharged and the nurses there couldn't have been more different. So friendly and nothing was too much trouble , I wish I had been put there instead of HOBS, in fact that is what the nurses at HOBS told me that I really shouldn't have been there . I'm sorry they felt like that but

I am human and I was and still am struggling to walk and do things for myself like bending down , I realise it probably was a ward for more seriously ill people but I didn't ask to be put there and I have a right to be treated with respect and compassion the same as the next person.

Response from Scunthorpe General Hospital

Hello Denise, I'm sorry to hear about your experience. If you haven't already done so, please could you contact our patient advice and liaison team on 01724 290132 or nlg-tr.pals@nhs.net

Kind regards,