"Long wait in A and E department"

About: Lincoln County Hospital / Accident and emergency

I was sent up to A and E on Saturday from the walk in centre. It was extremely busy. I had to wait 1 1/2 hours before I saw a triage person. Then another hour before I saw a nurse and a total of 6 hours before I saw a doctor. The department was so busy that there were not enough chairs for everyone to sit on. There were some very poorly people stood up a very long time. There were people in tremendous pain, mothers with babies, people bleeding from there heads and some very sick people waiting a very long time.

I found the receptionists rude and unhelpful. The doctor and nurses were lovely and very helpful but it was obvious that there were not enough of them and they were extremely busy. I mentioned to the nurse how busy it was and she said that it is not as busy as it normally is.

I think it is appalling that very sick people have to wait such a long time even without a chair to sit on. How can this service be called Accident and Emergency?

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear Samoula

I would firstly like to thank you for your comments we rely on people’s feedback in order to try and improve our service.

I would like to apologise for the extensive delay in you being seen by the triage nurse that day. We are aware of the issue within the department and are in the process of increasing our staffing to facilitate two triage nurses during the day.

I would also like to apologise that you had to wait so long to be seen by a doctor, this is again unacceptable, the medical team see patients in order of clinical priority. Unfortunately this often causes long delays, but the hospital are aware of this as an issue and continue to work hard to try and prevent this.

I am aware there has been a recent issue with seating. Unfortunately some of our seating has had to be returned to the manufacturer for repair, although we have tried to access alternative seating from other areas of the hospital this has not always been possible.

I thank you for your kind comments about the nursing and medical staff and will be sure to pass them on. I will also highlight the fact that you found the receptionist rude and unhelpful to the reception team, I am sure they will be disappointed to hear this.

I would once again like to extend my sincere apologies for your negative experience in Accident and Emergency and would like to assure you that the A and E team are continually working to try and improve the service offered to our patients.

Terri Reeve