"Chasing my referral"

About: General practices in Ayrshire & Arran

In  April my GP at Stevenston Group Practice told me I was being referred for gallbladder surgery. When I phoned the hospital on Monday to find out where I was on the list / when to expect a letter they had no record of me.

After talking to the GP surgery three times this week I was finally told today I had been referred. Yesterday. They referred me yesterday so I am left in considerable pain at the back of the queue again.

Dear wee jeanie,

I am so sorry you have had the hassle, the delay and pain which goes with a gall bladder issue. It also must be very annoying, having had an additional 2 months added to your wait.

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your plight. I wonder if you can take an appointment at short notice and if you have let the hospital know this. Is your appointment for a general surgical out patient clinic? It may be worth getting this clarified, which I can do for you. If you would like to contact me on 01563 826222 or email me at eunice.goodwin@aapct.scot.nhs.uk and we can take it from there for you. I will also pass this to the practice manager for their reflection.

best wishes,

• wee jeanie thinks this response is helpful

Dear wee Jeanie,

I spoke to the Practice Manager yesterday and she is also sorry that you have had this issue. As a practice, they are looking into this to see what happened and learn from it.

Best wishes,

Eunice

Response from Eunice Goodwin, Patient Feedback Manager for NHS Ayrshire and Arran, Quality Improvement and Governance Team, NHS Ayrshire and Arran We have made a change

Dear wee Jeanie,

What a great outcome. I am so glad we managed to get you a cancellation and your appointment is very soon. That should put you back on the right time track. Also, the Practice Manager informed me there has been a change made to the process and she is confident that this will not happen again. Thank you again for taking the time to help us get this sorted.

Best wishes,

• wee jeanie thinks this response is helpful

Update posted by wee jeanie (the patient)

Eunice has restored my faith in the system and am glad that safeguards are in place(or will be) to prevent this happening again. Glad we have all learned something from this.