"Overnight Care"

About: Horton General Hospital

I was in hospital overnight following a hernia operation 10 day ago. It was my persuasion that gained me the overnight stay following the afternoon operation.I am 74 and live on my own.When my feelings returned following the operation, approx 10.30 pm I was in enormous pain. I asked for pain killers and these were very slow in coming. No one checked on me to see if they had helped and I called again for some help. When 2 people appeared they asked me what I wanted. I said I should like to see a doctor as the pain was so severe. They told me very frankly that I couldn't 'just clip my fingers and get a doctor! I asked why not, wasn't I in a hospital?Eventually a doctor came and when told of my pain said I should just try to relax and sleep! I asked for further morphine 3 times and was given it but no one came close and asked if I was any easier.I believe the standard of care and concern shown to me was far below what is expected from patients and upon talking with other users of the hospital find that this is not unusual! God help those that cannot speak up.

Response from Horton General Hospital

Thank you for your comments regarding the Horton General Hospital.

I am very sorry that your care lacked the compassion that we expect all our patients to receive.

Please be assured that your feedback will be passed onto the service managers responsible for the Horton General Hospital. We would welcome the opportunity to investigate the issues you have raised and provide you with a response.

If you would like us to do this, please do not hesitate to contact the Complaints Department on 01865 221728 or at complaints@ouh.nhs.uk who will be happy to discuss the complaint process with you.