"Follow up appointments"

About: Bristol Eye Hospital

Having had a cataract operation I was given a letter in which is stated that a follow up appointment would take place in approx 6 weeks. During my check out procedure the nurse also stated that a follow up appointment would be set for about 6 weeks.

At 6 weeks and having not received any notification of a date I called the hospital contact telephone number and explained the situation to the operator and requested if a date had been booked. The operator then (in surprised tone) explained that they were surprised that I was told 6 weeks and informed me that if a follow up is required it would probably be 12 weeks or more weeks due to back log?.

I'm bemused. Who gives the medical advise ... the doctors / nurses or telephone receptionist

Additionally I need to have cataract removed from my other eye but cannot get any engagement on this.

Response from Bristol Eye Hospital

Hello. Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on NHS choices. If you contact our patient support and complaints team (0117 342 1050 / pals@uhbristol.nhs.uk) someone will be able to assist you with this query. Kind regards.