"I was in a great deal of pain"

About: Grantham & District Hospital / X-ray and Scans

My Doctor recommended that I go to Grantham for an xray on my arm.

When I arrived the receptionist questioned why I was there and that I should have gone to Leicester! She was very obtrusive and didn't give a damn that I was in a considerable amount of pain.

The screen said there was approximately 2 hours waiting time for treatment.

I was treated abroad for broken ribs and severe back pain but they had missed my broken arm in all of the confusion.

I was in a great deal of pain and could not get comfortable in those horrible plastic chairs in the waiting room.

After seeing the Triage Nurse she told me I could lie on the bed to get more comfortable. They fetched me a sheet and then just left me there. As I sat on the bed the back of it collapsed and I fell backwards causing me even more pain and suffering. I shouted out for help on several occasions but nobody came to my assistance. After nearly half an hour I managed to get off the bed and I went back into the reception to tell my wife. She managed to find me an upright trolley chair in the waiting area and I then sat in this for a further two hours until my arm was finally x rayed. I informed both the Doctor and another Nurse about the bed but nobody was interested. The Doctor even laughed when I told him what had happened.

The two hours approximate waiting time was a joke. I was in there for over four hours and not once did anyone apologise or offer to help me with my discomfort.

Also the Doctor that dealt with me gave me two Diazapram. My understanding is that these drugs are not supposed to be taken if the patient has conditions such as sleep Apnea, Asthma, Depression, Stress and anxiety. I have all of the above conditions and he never even asked me. My wife stopped me from taking the tablets and causing myself further harm!

The whole situation was a total shambles

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear Jimmy,

I am so sorry for the experience that you have had in A&E. Please be assured that your comments will be shared with staff to ensure better treatment and care in the future.

For me to review your individual episode of care with the team members concerned, I would need some more details from you.

If you would be prepared to contact our PALS team on 01476 464861, or by e-mail at pals@ulh.nhs.uk, with your name, date of birth and, if you have it, your NHS number, I would then be able to speak to individual staff to address your concerns.

Once again, please accept my apologies.

Mandy Charles