"CDU/Taylor ward (cardiology)"

About: Kent & Canterbury Hospital

I recently spent 2 nights in CDU followed by several more on Taylor Ward. A big thank you to the excellent nursing staff (including student nurses) who were incredibly busy and gave excellent care. However, there was a stark difference between communication in the two areas. In CDU I had to ask, ask, ask just to be told anything, and my visitor was more informed than me as to where I was being moved to. Complete opposite on Taylor ward, the nurses and doctors communicated everything in a timely, understandable and compassionate manner - what a difference it made to my levels of anxiety. Please, please, remember that in an environment like CDU your patients are desperate for any information. Even 'I don't know, but I will tell you as soon as I do' makes a huge difference. Thank you.

Response from Sally Smith, Chief Nurse and Director Of Quality, East Kent Hospitals University NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to give us this really helpful feedback. I am pleased you received good care with us, but completely take on board your comments around communication. I will make sure we share that across all of our teams to make sure we keep people properly informed.

I do hope you are recovering well,

Best regards,