"Head Injury patient"

About: Northumbria Specialist Emergency Care Hospital

On holiday in beautiful Northumberland I had the misfortune to have a bad fall and hit my head on concrete. I visited a nearby GP who told me that I must go immediately to the hospital, they phoned ahead and gave me a detailed letter to give to A & E.

With my husband driving we arrived at Northumbria hospital at approx 1-15pm .I booked in and noticed the board saying...... Triage 15 mins...... Doctor 2 hours

Triage was about 1 hour 20 mins and doctor another couple of hours.

I was assessed by a very nice doctor, had several skull X-Ray's that showed a fractured cheekbone.

I was very surprised to find such a new hospital did not have a max fac unit and there was every possibility that I would be sent to the RVI in Newcastle, luckily it was eventually decided that it was a stable fracture and a trip to RVI was not essential

The whole process took in excess of 6 hours,

I am over 70 years old and found this situation totally exhausting.

Response from Northumbria Specialist Emergency Care Hospital

Dear Sir/Madam,

I'm sorry that your trip to our beautiful region was hindered by a nasty fall, I hope that you're now doing much better. I am pleased to hear that the doctor who assessed you at our Northumbria hospital was very nice. I will be sure to pass this kind message to our team in Accident and Emergency.

I am deeply sorry for the delay you experienced, I can imagine how tiring this must have been for you and your husband. Please be assured that we are doing everything we can to treat patients as quickly as possible, I am sorry that this wasn't the case for you. While your post remains anonymous I am unable to look into why you experienced such a wait. I would like to look into this for you. Please email me with your details and I can start making enquires, my email address is Annie.Laverty@nhct.nhs.uk.

All the best,