"Unnecessary wait"

About: Maidstone District General Hospital

I had an appointment for clinic at10.00, I arrived 9.45 at 10.35 I had not been seen. I enquired and was told things were running a little late but that I "was next in the box". I was eventually taken by a nurse to have my checks, had eye drops put in and then informed the clinic is running late approximately 90 mins! At this point I could do little as I was now ready to see the doctor. I eventually was seen at 13.10 this actually means the clinic was running three hours late!

I worked for the Nhs for forty years and I believe this could be a record.

There are several points to consider

1 Why wasn't part of the clinic cancelled if there was to be only one doctor. If there was insufficient notice to do this why was I not informed at booking in?

2 Why was the only notice board containing information about my clinic only on view when you eventually got to the sub wait area

3 The doctor on duty could not possibly give the same care and concentration to this number of people as if two were on duty

4 Who will take responsibility if a mistake has been made?

I feel the trust has drastically failed in its level of care on this occasion , if standards slip at a basic out patient appointment it begs the question if you are inadequate in other areas.