"speech therapy"

About: Lanarkshire Community Services / Speech and Language Therapy

(as a parent/guardian),

I attended a excellent parent workshop in my childs school recently led by Louise and the other therapist. She is very friendly and approachable and always has time to discuss different visuals and ways to use PECS that will help my child. Its been great to see the progress my child is making. I have some great ideas to use over summer and different websites and groups to contact. These workshops have been really good and have let me hear some good ideas from other parents too. Thank you for understanding my child and my needs. It will make summer easier for us. My child has autism and it is so good to have ideas to support them. All of the groups have been really helpful but this one was really great.

Response from Pauline Downie, Professional Lead, Speech & Language Therapy Services, NHS Lanarkshire

Dear happyparent

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience of speech therapy. We always welcome feedback to help us improve our services. I am really glad that you and your child have benefitted. It is really important to us to work with parents and families as you know your child best and can make the most difference to their communication.

We have been using PECS for several years and earlier this year we trained another 30 of our staff in using the PECS (Picture Exchange Communication System) approach so it is good to hear that those skills are being shared.

I hope you and your family have a lovely summer and thanks once again for writing.

I will pass on your comments to Louise.