"I have a major phobia of Dentists ..."

About: Leeds Dental Hospital

I have a major phobia of Dentists and I have had since I was a child. This is probably the reason that I hadn't been to one for four years and the reason that I had to attend the dental hospital as my own dentist had removed me from his list due to my lack of attendance.

I was forced to attend due to a broken tooth and severe toothache and my now lack of a dental practice. I am not sure what I expected at the dental hospital but it was below my expectations of any previous dentist I have ever visited as it would be students who treated me and therefore they couldn't be as good, could they...

How wrong I was, the person who treated me (in their fourth year) was professional, courteous, reassuring, polite and informative. They was aware I was nervous and they did their upmost to keep me informed during the treatment as well as asking on numerous occasions how I was and if I was comfortable.

The treatment was pain free (they actually waited for the injection to take hold... Unlike previous dentists I have used) and I left with a comfortable temporary filling and most of all pain free.

I wish I could use the hospital for further required work (I would be willing to pay) but I realise that it's main role is treating emergency cases.

I hope this feedback can reach the person who treated me (treatment received early afternoon on 25/02/2010, my name is David Turner) could be informed of this feedback as I think she well deserves it. I hope they never lose the caring nature and professional approach that they quite evidently have.

Dave Turner (pain free happy customer).

My only suggestion is that a donation box be placed within the complex so a donation could be made towards medical books or instruments that the students may have to buy for studies, I am sure that they will be as 'broke' as the average student.

Response from Involvement Facilitator, NHS Leeds

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Leeds Dental Hospital on the NHS Choices website.

I was pleased to hear that you felt you were treated in a professional, courteous, reassuring, polite and informative manner and this went a long way to helping you over your phobia of dentists.

We shall pass your comments on to the staff concerned.

Thank you once again.