"emergency admission"

About: Crosshouse Hospital / Accident & Emergency Crosshouse Hospital / General Surgery Scottish Ambulance Service / Emergency Ambulance

My doctor recently admitted me crosshouse hospital as I had severe pain and swelling in my lower abdomen, I was taken there by ambulance, the two ambulance crew were very nice, and helpful. when I arrived at the a&e department, the nurses there were very polite and helpful too as were the the xray staff. I had to wait a couple of hours in the a&e department, while still in severe pain, before being admitted to ward 4a, where on arrival I was greeted with helpful staff. the nurses on all shifts throughout the time I was there are a credit to yourselves. the only gripe which I have was being left in a&e for couple hours not knowing what was happening, it turns out I was waiting for a bed to be vacant before being transferred up the stairs.

Dear richieboy,

I am glad that you had such a good all-round experience in the main, and I hope your care and treatment continues in the same manner. With regards to the wait in A/E without knowing the plan, it has blotted our copy book of what otherwise sounds excellent care. It is a scary enough situation but not knowing what the plan just adds to the anxiety and stress for both the individual and the family.

I am so sorry that you were not kept informed and I will flag this to the team for their reflection. Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience.

Kind regards,

Response from Martin Esposito, Patient Experience Manager, Corporate Affairs and Engagement Department, Scottish Ambulance Service

Dear ritchieboy

I was really sorry to hear about your recent illness but pleased to hear your kind words about all of the staff who looked after you. I know that being admitted to hospital can be frightening and so it was good to read that all of the staff were helpful and polite.

I hope that you are making a good recovery and thank you so much for sharing you experience.

Take care