"Wish I was given anxiety medication"

About: Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust / The Woodlands (inpatient unit for substance misuse)

Was very daunting when I arrived at 2: 30 in the afternoon. I was 8 times the drink drive limit n felt totally sober until the rattling kicked in! . I felt awful for the first two and the last two days. And the only complaint I have is they wouldn't give me any sort of drug to calm my anxiety, but I got over it. The residents were awesome had a real good laugh from the sole it was real laughter. But I wish I went to rehab after I need it I think.

Response from Rod Hudspith, Woodlands Manager, The Woodlands Substance Misuse Services, Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust

Hi tris1652, good to hear from you and thanks for your comments.

With regards to anxiety medicines - the medicine that we give to people who present for alcohol detoxification as you did are given a medicine that not only helps in making withdrawal symptoms easier to cope with, but is also known as an anxiolytic, this means that one of its properties helps in reducing levels of anxiety. This is the main reason why our Doctors would not be looking to prescribe any additional medication for this.

Nevertheless, it sounds as though your inpatient experience was a positive one and I understand from speaking with colleagues that you did really well throughout your Woodlands admission - not an easy task at the best of times, so very well done.

Good luck and all the best for the future