"Calling 111"

About: IC24 Norfolk and Wisbech

At 0430hrs I called 111. I went through and gave information required, to be told that on call doctors would be in contact. My symptom was my back had gone into spasm causing me extreme pain in my back preventing from moving, while in bed. I could not even get out of bed. By 1230 hrs the same day, I had heard nothing. I again telephoned 111. I went through the same process via a clinician, who informed me that perhaps I should telephone my doctor. I, by this time, was exceptionally distressed, and in continuous pain, helpless.

I telephoned my doctor, who in 10 minutes attended bedside and by 30 minutes I was, thanks to my partner, I was in receipt of the tablets prescribed by my doctor.

I think the 111 service totally failed me, ill advised me and furthermore having spoken and shared my experience with a 111 manager who promised me feedback, I am surprisingly still awaiting their call.

To think I am a British citizen who is retired, has paid full contributions throughout all my 37 years working life to help pay for this countries NHS service, what a waste of money.

Response from Marian Burgess, Patient Experience Manager, East Of England Ambulance Service NHS Trust

I am sorry to hear of your experience. Unfortunately East of England Ambulance do not cover this 111 service, this is run by another organisation. Your feedback has also been sent to Norfolk Clinical Commissioning Group who will be able to pass your comments on to this organisation for you,.

Marian Burgess

Patient Experience Manager

East of England Ambulance Service

Response from Cally Bowman, Subscriber support officer, Patient Opinion

Hi Marian and Charlie4652,

My name is Cally and I'm part of the Team at Patient Opinion

We have retagged this story to Integrated Care 24 who provide the 111 service,

Thanks for letting us know,

Kind regards,

Cally

Response from Gilly Carliell, Associate Director of Comms and Engagement, Chief Executive Office, IC24 ltd - a not for profit social enterprise nhs provider

Dear Charlie4652,

Firstly I would like to apologise personally to you for any distress caused.

As a not for profit social enterprise, we are disheartened to hear that you had a poor experience and as such I would ask that you please contact our quality team directly so that I may organise a thorough investigation into your complaint.

Please contact cg@ic24.nhs.uk who will organise this investigation for you.

Once again, I do apologise sincerely and please rest assured that your complaint will be investigated thoroughly.

Kind regards,