"Southwell centre - 90th Birthday celebrations for the Queen"

About: Rampton Hospital

(as a staff member posting for a patient/service user),

We ran two events over two consecutive days within Southwell day care centre, to celebrate the Queens 90th Birthday. One afternoon was for Mental Health patients, and one for the Learning disabilities patients.

Both days went well, with excellent patient attendance, we made the most of the weather, running both indoor and outdoor summer fete activities, followed by afternoon tea and a quiz.

The patient response has been overwhelming: -

• “I enjoyed the party thankyou to all the staff for organising it”

• “Entertaining, pleased everyone got together”

• “I haven’t seen this done before, but it’s been fantastic, I liked the games, could we do it again at Christmas? ”

• “We need something like this every month”

• “It’s been brilliant”

• “Entertaining and exciting, brilliant, brilliant food”

• “It really put the wind in my sails”

Response from Helen Watkinson, Clinical Nurse Manager, Rampton Hospital, Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust

I am so pleased that everyone had such a great time, I attended one of the events myself and clearly the staff and the patients had put a great deal of effort into making sure that everyone had the opportunity to get involved.

Many of the ideas came from patients and the Southwell team are excellent at making sure that everyone can enjoy such events.

Well done everyone, the artwork that patients had on display was fantastic.

Helen Watkinson

Modern Matron

Response from Nigel Groves, Rosewood Involvement Centre manager, Involvement Team, Nottinghamshire Health care Trust

Could I just add to this. I know how hard the Staff at Southwell work at such events and it should also be noted with not much extra resource. They are all to be congratulated.

It is also good to see comments from the Patients. Looks like a great day was had by all.

2 volunteer service users from Rosewood attended one of the events and they have commented on what a good event it was and how they enjoyed helping out.

I guess from the comments posted would be what is comeing up next? I wonder any planes before Christmas?