"In those dark days quality professionals stood out like beacons."

About: Queen Mary's Hospital / Mental health care

The last two years have been very difficult for my family as I was diagnosed with a second breast cancer in the same month as my mother was told she had Alzheimer’s. In those dark days when I was too weak to help her and mum was in depression and denial, quality professionals stood out like beacons. One such individual was Nurse Coffey, who had a knack of getting mother to sparkle again with jokes and gentle banter and be her old self. He was empathetic, practical with advice, encouraging and spoke to mum with respect. He’s a gem. Other carers on my Alzheimer’s course in Putney thought the same.

Response from Claire Reid, Senior Patient Experience Co-Ordinator, Patient Experience Team, South West London and St George's Mental Health NHS Trust

Dear Bounce2431,

My name is Claire Reid and I am the Senior Patient Experience Co-ordinator in the Trust. I want to thank you for your posting about our staff. It is a pleasure to read that during a time where you yourself were ill, and your mother was not coping well with the diagnosis of Alzhiemer's, that our staff were able to help during this difficult time. I am pleased to see that you found the staff involved empathetic, giving practical advice and that they were respectful. It is excellent to read that this is thought of throughout carers in Putney on your Alzheimer's course.

I will pass your posting onto the team involved, so they are made aware of your kind words to them.

Many Thanks