"My mum's dementia"

About: South West London And St George's Mental Health NHS Trust / Older people's mental health

My mum was diagnosed with dementia around 3 years ago. I'm her only relative in the UK, so a lot has been on me and I've found the last few years very challenging. However it would have been so much worse if it wasn't for the care provided by one person in particular - Neil.

He first began seeing my mum as a community mental health nurse and has continued to provide care as he's moved roles. That continuity has proved invaluable to me as I found it hard to navigate my way around social services, council services and NHS resources, but Neil has proved an invaluable help.

He is an outstanding medical practitioner. His knowledge of his subject area is deep and broad; he's incredibly patient; and has great empathy with his patients. Most importantly (for me anyway! ) is that he's made me feel that I'm not alone having to deal with the situation and someone else is looking out for my mum.

Response from Claire Reid, Senior Patient Experience Co-Ordinator, Patient Experience Team, South West London and St George's Mental Health NHS Trust

Dear PhilB78,

My name is Claire Reid and I am the Senior Patient Experience Co-ordinator with the Trust. Thank you for your post about Neil, Dementia Nurse. I am pleased to read that the care provided by Neil has been helpful and you have not felt alone with dealing with your mother's dementia. It is reassuring to read that there has been continuity despite a movement in Neil's role and that he is empathic and patient.

I will pass on your incredibly kind comments about Neil and his team.

Many thanks