About: Cheltenham General Hospital

Liaison between docters and nurses:more care(my daughter came each night to help me to bed);

I am 100 yrs. of age .I was discharged before care was set up for me.

I also had a red,hot and swollen lower leg which I was told to' put up'.Since being home I have been treated with two courses of anti-biotics and it still is not better .My doctor is concerned it was not treated at the hospital .The hospital dr.said that they wanted my bed-I wonder if this is because of my age?The leg has been v,painful and it is only now showing any inprovement. I have been out of Hospital for 1 month.

Response from Cheltenham General Hospital

Anonymous - CGH Jan 2010:

We are sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience whilst in our care and that your discharge did not go smoothly. We hope that you were able to raise your concerns with the staff at the time or via our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS)? We can however reassure you that your age has nothing to do with discharge or in your words ' wanting your bed'. If any patient (no matter what their age) no longer requires the care of an acute hospital, it is right and proper to discharge them so that other patients who do need acute care can be admitted for their treatment. If you would like to raise your concerns and allow us to investigate them for you, please contact our PALS team on 0800 019 3282.