"Admission to Forth Valley Royal with TIA symptoms"

About: Forth Valley Royal Hospital / Acute assessment unit NHS 24 / NHS 24 (111 service) Scottish Ambulance Service / Emergency Ambulance

At 3am my husband woke with no feeling or power in his right arm and hand. We worked on it for 15-20 mins and then rang 111. Staff were very helpful and put us on to the Ambulance Team who sent two paramedics to check him out. It was decided to take him to hospital.

At Forth Valley the team was very efficient, professional and pleasant. He was "processed" (but not impersonally) through the system to the Assessment Ward where he remained until late afternoon by which time he had had the result of his brain scan.

On discharge he was told he would be followed up at the TIA clinic and we were really surprised to get a call so quickly (on the Monday) to go at 2 pm. Again, we were impressed with the interest and thoroughness shown and the clarity of explanation and instructions.

We would like to congratulate staff on their performance and to thank them very sincerely.

Response from Shona Lawrence, Patient Affairs Manager, NHS 24

Thank you very much for sharing your story on Patient Opinion. I was sorry to learn your husband experienced loss of power in his hand and arm. I am sure that this would have been a very frightening experience for you both.

Within your post you have mentioned the helpful staff within NHS 24 who managed your call to 111. Patient safety and a positive experience are our top priorities here at NHS 24 and I am pleased that our staff member managed your call efficiently and effectively. Should you wish to provide any additional information, then I would be able to identify the staff member who managed your call and share your positive comments directly with them. I can be contacted on 0141 337 4582 or by email at patientaffairs@nhs24.scot.nhs.uk

I will however share your story more widely within NHS 24 to enable staff to appreciate your feedback.

It is also a pleasure to read your positive comments for my colleagues within the Scottish Ambulance Service and NHS Forth Valley. Your story is an excellent example of services working together to ensure the best possible care is provided to patients.

I do wish both you and your husband well. Thank you again for being considerate enough to provide positive feedback.

With kind regards

Shona

Shona Lawrence

NHS 24 Patient Affairs Manager

Response from Martin Esposito, Patient Experience Manager, Corporate Affairs and Engagement Department, Scottish Ambulance Service

Dear Glad to have had you

I was really sorry to hear about your husband’s illness but pleased to hear your positive feedback about everyone who was involved in his care. We do work closely with our colleagues from other health boards to ensure the best possible care for our patients and as Shona from NHS 24 has highlighted, it is always nice to hear another example of when this has worked well.

Please pass on my best wishes to your husband and thank you so much for sharing.

Take care

Martin.

Response from Pauline Marland, Person Centred Patient Experience Coordinator, Department of Nursing, NHS Forth Valley

Dear Glad to have had you

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent experience on Patient Opinion. It really must have been a very worrying time for you both.

I have shared your posting with the staff who would like to pass on their sincere thanks, they really do appreciate hearing from patients and their families as it highlights that their hard work and dedication has been recognised and also shows them impact the care they provide has on patients and their families

It really was heartening to read your lovely feedback about our colleagues at NHS 24 and the Scottish Ambulance Service, we really are very fortunate to have such dedicated staff across the NHS. Your feedback is a great example of services working in partnership to ensure the best possible care is provided.

I hope that your husband is well on the road to making a good recovery and wish you both all the very best.

With kindest regards