"Wifi at highbury hospital"

About: Highbury Hospital

I am currently a patient on Redwood 1 at Highbury Hospital. I am unhappy that on the Adjacent female Redwood 2 has access to WIFI and the male Redwood1 ward has none.

I feel that this is unacceptable and sexist that female patients have access to WIFI and male have none. I am disappointed that all patients at Highbury haven’t got access to WIFI. I feel that either everyone has access or none at all. I have raised this as a formal complaint to higher management and awaiting a response.

Response from Suzanne Foulk, Live Implementation and Carer Strategy Lead for Local Services, Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust

Dear RM,

Firstly thank you for telling us of your concern about what you viewed was inequity of patient wifi access here at Highbury. As you may have been informed by Marcus Hoyle the ward manager for your ward wifi access for patients is an issue that is already being looked and regulalry raised within Patient Council meetings.

Secondly, I do understand that it could appear to you and other patients to be a bit one sided for the female patients on Redwood 2 to have access, but not your ward. I can however honestly inform you that the single ward trial on redwood 2 was a random selection by the IT department, and the other female ward along with rest of the wards do not have patient wifi access currently.

Lastly and more importantly, what are are we doing about this? I cannot deny that is not a simple process as we who are not IT minded had thought it would be. I did take this matter higher following my conversation with Marcus, and was provided with a very detailed reponse from the Head of the Trust Health Informatics Services. I will provide a full explanation at the Highbury Patients Council next Tuesday at 3pm. The main feedback was that for patient access to Wi-Fi be rolled out, the Wi-Fi infrastructure may need to be further bolstered to support the additional load and coverage.

I hope you can attend next week. I am of course happy to come to your ward to discuss this further with you and thank you again for taking the time to raise it.

Suzanne Foulk