"Pre assessment"

About: Wishaw General Hospital / Paediatrics

(as a parent/guardian),

Attended Wishaw General for pre assesment with my 14 yr old son. 3 hr 30 min round trip which entailed 6 buses. The nurse who attended to my son was very friendly, treated my son independently and was very professional. The full appointment lasted 7 mins and unfortunately the questions my son had were unable to be answered. The only physical thing that he had done were his vital sign and I was required to sign to say that I had received information regarding anaesthetic and fasting instructions. As I had to take a day off work and my son a day off of school I feel that a pre assesment closer to home would have been more efficient.

Response from Geraldine Queen, Associate Nurse Director, Family Nurse Partnership Lead, NHS Lanarkshire

Dear gstar

Thank you for contacting me and I'm sorry that you and your son had such a long journey to attend his pre-assessment appointment. I'm pleased that your son was treated well by the nurse, however it is disappointing that he wasn't able to have his questions answered. Would it be possible for you to contact me in order that I can get some more details and ensure that your comments and questions can be discussed with the appropriate staff?

My contact details are Tel: 01698 858196.

Dear gstar

Thank you again for contacting me. Following our discussion I have relayed your very valuable comments to our Patient Information and Experience Manager. He will ensure that your experience informs discussions at an event planned to look at re-designing Pre-assessment pathways which is being held tomorrow 16th June.

Thank you again for your feedback and I hope your son's surgery goes well.

Best regards

Geraldine Queen

• gstar thinks this response is helpful

Update posted by gstar (a parent/guardian)

Thank you so much for taking the time to listen to my compliments and concerns. It is great to know that the organisation act on the feed back that they receive in a positive way.