"Left lying in a bed for over a week; no treatment"

About: Tameside General Hospital

My elderly mother was admitted to Tameside, moved from the MAU to ward 41. She was promised a chest drain for fluid on her lung. It didn't happen. Why? Staff shortages. Bank holiday. More staff shortages. Because she is old, because she is frail and weak, she is ignored and left to the mercy of staff shortages with no care for the incredible boredom and depression that sets in just lying in a sterile ward for over a week. As usual everyone passes the Buck and no one takes responsibility. Totally unacceptable.

Response from Tameside and Glossop Integrated Care NHS Foundation Trust

On behalf of Tameside Hospital NHS Foundation Trust I would like to extend my sincere apologies. Without having the personal details it is difficult to comment. I would like this to be investigated in more detail. However the Assistant Chief Nurse for Medicine has visited Ward 41 to see if your mother can be identified so we can contact you.

Please can I request in the interim you contact Pals and Complaints department on 0161 922 4466 or email Palsandcomplaints@tgh.nhs.uk so that we can arrange for someone to meet or discuss with you.

Once again please accept my apologies