"Childrens A&E"

About: Princess Alexandra Hospital (Harlow)

In April, I found a broken internet card reader on my stairs - with one battery in it, one missing and my son nearby... I searched for the battery and could not find it.

Having read recently of the extreme danger of eating batteries this was an LR44 cell battery I rang 111.

They advised that I should get him to Harlow Childrens A&E within the hour.

In a blind panic I got us there, unfortunately I did not cope well with the situation and upon arrival at the desk was asked for my details and explanation of the problem.

A doctor overheard and within moments we were being seen to.

Whether this was indeed because of the possible real dangers or they were concerned I was going to frighten the other patients I cannot be sure, however my son was metal detected, and sadly he beeped.

He was then x-rayed.

The battery had indeed been eaten.

He is now fine and the battery is now out of his system.

But I wanted to write this review of the attention that we received at Harlows A&E for children, it was exemplary, the Doctor and the nurses that saw us could not have been kinder, more efficient, patient or professional.

I cannot give enough praise to them, or their follow up to ensure he was fine.

They acted very quickly and dealt with me very well.

Which meant so much to me I could not thank them enough.

I have since requested a mass be said for them at my Church as things could have gone a very different way for us and I am so thankful.

I cannot remember their names, but I wish each and everyone of them well and hope that someone tells them that their work is appreciated.

Story from NHS Choices

Do you have a similar story to tell? Tell your story & make a difference ››