"Hospital clinics - waiting area furniture"

About: Crosshouse Hospital

I have noticed that many attendees, self included, are seniors having mobility problems. Whereas toilet facilities are well catered for, the seating in waiting areas can be challenging. If all seats were each equipped with TWO armrests and were 2 - 4cm higher, much of the difficulty in sitting / rising would be greatly reduced.

Dear Oldandbold,

You raise a valuable point. Some time back, another Patient Opinion post raised the issue of seating and highlighted their specific needs, which were different to yours. This makes me think that we should have a few different seating styles which would be accessible for a variety of people's needs. I will pass to the appropriate management for their consideration.

Thank you Oldandbold for taking the time to let us see this through different eyes.

Kind regards,

Eunice

• Oldandbold thinks this response is helpful

Update posted by Oldandbold (the patient)

One problem with having varied seating styles is that many of those patients requiring them have a companion. The companion would then either use another special seat, or be separated from the patient. Better to try and get a "one fits all" design commissioned.

Dear Oldandbold,

I agree that this would be ideal if possible. Unfortunately, the last person who raised an issue required a chair without arms. I was more thinking of a row of the same kind of seats with arms and the appropriate height and a row of those without arms so hopefully everyone's needs could be met. I will have a chat with both our accessibility expert and our Estates manager in an endeavour to take this into account when replacement chairs are being sourced.

For new developments, it is easier to take these factors into account. I am aware this was the case with the new Woodland View development at Ayrshire Central hospital where extensive consultation with patients and the public was undertaken.

Thank you so much for your post, it is a very important area we need to keep in site.

Kind regards,

Eunice

• Oldandbold thinks this response is helpful

Update posted by Oldandbold (the patient)

If substantially designed, fold away armrests could be incorporated. OK?
I should state that rather than "tasteful armrests" it is handlebars/pushbars with grips which would be ideal.