"Outpatient waiting times Gynaecology"

About: Royal Hallamshire Hospital

Why does it seem so difficult to get an outpatient appointment in Gynaecology? Last year a three month review turned into a 7 month one. In December was told I should have a 6 month review which is due next week. As I had not heard anything I phoned the appointments line and given an appointment for the end of June. Three days later this was cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances. No new appointment had been made just a note to say will be in touch in due course? How long is due course and how long a review appointment this time. I realise that this is a very busy clinic and that there are other women who have a more urgent need of an appointment than myself and would not want to take and appointment from someone more needy, but I am still a patient with problems who would like to get the chance to be seen. Its probably worse as I feel that when I am seen that I am talked down too and the consultant is so busy that they cannot remember what has been discussed from one appointment to the next, or that says one thing to me and writs another to my doctor. Please advise what is happening to the appointment system. The telephone appointments team are very lovely to talk too but I am sure that they feel very frustrated too.

Response from Royal Hallamshire Hospital

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your care within our Gynaecology Department. I am sorry you have experienced problems in accessing appointments and if you would like us to look into this further for you, please do contact our Patient Services Team on pst@sth.nhs.uk or 0114 2712400 and they will be happy to take further details.