"Poor experience on admission to MEAU"

About: Lincoln County Hospital / General medicine

I was sent to the MEAU ward by my GP as I was unwell with what was thought to be either kidney infection, kidney stone or cyst bleed. I was admitted fairly quickly and had good care from the staff nurse.

The junior doctor was very reluctant to prescribe appropriate pain relief and the nurse was an excellent advocate ensuring I received the right level of pain management. The consultant I saw was also very kind and showed good empathy.

I was then moved to SEAU where the nurses were considerate in admission. I had very poor nights sleep due to constant disturbances from other patients being attended lights being turned on, alarms going off all of which I can accept. However, I also heard staff talking and laughing at normal volume, which I did not think was professional. I am a nurse I understand the running of a ward but I was taught that on nights you should be as quiet as you can.

I had a ct scan the following day and did not get the results from that until 48 hrs later, I was told by the medical consultant that urology would see me, but they never did.  They simply looked at the scan and wrote on my notes without seeing me.

It took two days for the medical consultant to get to me and tell me that I could go home a needless extra 24 hours was spent in hospital a waste of money for the hospital and 24 hrs of poor sleep and dreadful food for me.

From what I witnessed, poor communication between departments and with the patient seems to be the order of the day.

The beds I stayed in at this hospital were dreadful, old fashioned and uncomfortable. The food I had was poor, little choice and unpalatable when it arrived.

I would not recommend this hospital at all despite some very lovely staff there are still some that are poor and the environment is also old and run down.

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear Billylyne5,

Thank you for taking the time to share this feedback with us and I am very sorry to read of your concerns. I will share your comments with the nursing and medical teams involved on both MEAU and SEAU.

Your kind words regarding the nurse on MEAU will be shared as I know that our staff appreciate receiving positive feedback.

To help us to investigate your concerns further, could I ask you to please contact our PALS team on 01522 707071, or via e-mail to pals@ulh.nhs.uk, with your details. Then I will ask Sister on SEAU to contact you.

Regards,