"Kidney Removal"

About: Lincoln County Hospital / Urology

first on list, saw everyone sorted, ready to go down after waiting and waiting then cancelled, I had this last year to do with my kidney and cancelled twice and waited hours I have anxiety problems and had a breakdown over this and complained but whats the use its happened again, I cannot take anymore of the waiting around for hours in that room there should be a bed for patients staying in.

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

We are very sorry that your operation was cancelled and understand your frustration.

We do work hard to try and ensure that all patients receive their treatment on the day of their operation. However there are certain circumstances beyond our control that cause operations to be cancelled on the day of the procedure. This includes surgeon sickness, emergency situations, equipment failure and high demand on our critical care wards.

We are often still trying to avoid cancellations by exploring all possible avenues on the day. This means that patients are still admitted and prepared in readiness to go to theatre if the operation can proceed.

It is our policy this should be clearly explained to patients if there is a possibility of cancellation when they are admitted and we sincerely apologise if this has not been followed in your case.

Steve Pitwell