"Mixed experience"

About: Lincoln County Hospital / Accident and emergency Lincoln County Hospital / Ear, Nose and Throat

Full of praise for ENT, Theatre staff and Clayton Ward.

Less can be said for doctor seen at A & E last Sunday evening.

I attended A & E on Sunday evening with severe difficulties swallowing due to fish bone swallowed on Friday night. The doctor I saw did not even look down my throat - thought I'd scratched the side and suggested I book an appointment with ENT. That was the end of the diagnosis.

By Tuesday morning I could not even swallow water so telephoned ENT who asked me to come within the next 2 hours. I saw Dr Zacharia, and after looking down my throat, sending me to X-Ray, admitted me as an emergency to remove bone still embedded in throat.

Awaiting theatre in Clayton Ward, I was very well attended and cared for. I went to theatre Wednesday lunchtime and a seabass spine bone over 1 inch long was removed.

Theatre staff, Dr's Zacharia and McRay and Clayton Ward staff - I cannot praise enough. Thank you.

BUT, one question remains to be answered - Dr. Zacharia couldn't believe I was not investigated at A&E, especially as he said he was on duty!

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear Mercedes McLaren,

On behalf of the team members on ENT, I am pleased that you were happy with the treatment you received at the clinic.

I will make sure the team are made aware of your comments.

With best regards,

Tracey Delaney

Sister - Clinic 6

Lincoln County Hospital

• Mercedes McLaren thinks this response is helpful

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear Mercedes McLaren,

I am was very sorry to hear about your experience in the Emergency Department and apologise for this. This is not the standard of care we hope to provide.

If you are able to contact PALS (Patient Advice & Liaison Service) here at the hospital (Tel: 01522 707071) to inform them of your name, I will be able to investigate this further and provide you with a full response.

Dr M. Roberts,

Consultant, Emergency Department

• Mercedes McLaren thinks this response is helpful

Update posted by Mercedes McLaren (the patient)

will follow up responses for the benefit of future patients.

thank you.

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear Mercedes McLaren,

Thanks for taking the time to post this feedback.

I’m really pleased to hear that you were well attended and cared for on Clayton Ward. I will share this positive feedback with the team at our next ward meeting.

Kind regards,