"Appointments"

About: Hairmyres Hospital / Ophthalmology

I have been attending Hairmyres hospital for several years in the Ophthalmology/ARMD were I have seen 7 different doctors my appointments should be for 6 weeks they have gone up to 16 week intervals in some cases. I believe they tell me lies when they cancel my appointments which is upsetting. On one occasion I was advised that the doctor had returned to their own country about 2 months later met doctor by chance in the department on speaking to them they advised me they had not been away.

Last straw was yesterday when I received a letter to cancel another appointment. I did not receive letter or telephone notification to advise me of any appointment was advised I am not responsible for the post the date for appointment, 1 day after I recieved my injection more Lies. I do appreciate the work the pressure Doctors are under

Response from Gwen MacIntyre, Senior Nurse, Surgical & Critical care, Hairmyres Hospital

Dear Jen1,

I was very concerned when I read your experiences of our Ophthalmology services and would like to reassure you we strive to offer patients the best possible access to this valuable treatment.

I would like the opportunity to explore your case in more detail along with the service manager for Ophthalmology in order to try and alleviate your anxieties around this service and how we have communicated with you as an organisation.

In order to do this, I will need some personal details - can you contact me on 01355584664 and we can discuss your concerns further.

Kind Regards

Gwen

Dear Jen1,

Thank you for taking the time to speak to me about your experiences and concerns, it was invaluable for me to understand your journey.

I hope our follow up conversation today was helpful and I have asked our Specialist Nurse Charlotte to call you today and arrange a meeting time tomorrow to discuss the service they provide and options for your future treatment.

Please don't hesitate to contact me at any time if I can help with your visits to our services.

Kind Regards