"Concerns about nurse during my CT Scan"

About: Queen Elizabeth University Hospital Glasgow / Xrays and Scans

I arrived for my CT scan, and must admit everyone had been so helpful and nice, that was until I went in to the room to get my scan, I was told by the nurse I had to get a dye injection, after the THIRD attempt trying to insert the needle, the nurse eventually called over another nurse, who then put the needle in my hand, and the dye was injected through my system. Then I had my scan.

Afterwards I went into another room, and this nurse again said to me, when was your last period, I said I'm 56, the nurse said sorry and laughed! This nurse was running about in cloggs that looked too big. Another lovely nurse asked me if I was ok. After all the attempts from nurse cloggs trying to insert a needle I was bleeding in each arm! On my right arm the nurse stuck the tape so tight it nearly pulled my actual skin off, when I was taking it off.

The lovely nurse shouted over and said, look at this lady's arm The nurse just said to me are you allergic to the tape! I said I think you will find you put the tape on too tight. The nurse laughed and shuffled away.

No one had any name badges on, so I can't name the nurse.

Dear Hilo,

Following your feedback, I have asked for comments from the Lead Nurse and Sector Superintendent for the area that you had your scan. It is most likely that your feedback relates to one of the radiographers as we have no nurses in CT.

The Sector superintendent has shared this with the leads for CT to discuss with the staff and to look at lessons learned. This will also be picked up at the complaints review group.

In terms of staff ID, all staff wear their swipe card ID on a lanyard which is not always visible so best practice advises we also wear a name badge on a yellow background. We have ordered these and so hope this will make a big difference to that area of your concern.

I hope this is helpful

Regards,

Lynn Ross,

General Manager, Imaging

• Hilo thinks this response is helpful