"Blood stained tray"

About: New Cross Hospital

I visited The emergency department today 13 th May . I was. Very impressed with the check in nurse and then receptionist very helpful . The waiting area is clean bright and well organised .

I was called straight away and took to majors . Nurse looking after me very efficient doing observations and checking if I was ok every 30 minutes . I waited about 45 minutes to see a doctor . The doctor said I needed some blood tests and off they went to get the equipment .

The doctor returned with a tray contains the needle and wipes and the sharps bin .

I noticed that the part of the tray where the needle was etc had all blood still in obviously from previous use .it was all up the sides and in bottom .

I said to the doctor there is blood splashed all over that tray, the doctor said it did not matter as the needle was in a packet .This is really unacceptable I told the doctor I wasn't happy but they said not to worry . The doctor was having trouble finding a vein and they tried about 7 times with the same needle and after each attempt putting that needle back in that dirty blood stained tray .

I think that cross infection needs to be addressed in the dept yes they are busy but all equipment should be clean and sanitised .

This actually spoilt the overall impression of such a new facility .

Response from The Royal Wolverhampton NHS Trust

Dear Marie

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments relating to your patient experience in our Emergency Department. I am sorry for any distress that this matter has caused you in relation to the Doctor.

To enable me to look further into your concerns, I would be grateful if you can contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) on 01902 695362.

Kindest regards