"Medical assessment unit is terrible, atrocious,..."

About: Bradford Royal Infirmary

If you can do not bring your family or loved ones here. My brother was admitted to the medical assessment unit twice in 2 weeks. The first time he was suspected as having a grade 4 brain tumour, and no one engaged the family. The consultant was rude and stand offish. Fortunately he was diagnosed with a non terminal but serious TB tumour in the brain and transferred to Leeds for surgery. We went to Bradford again in the last week, he as admitted with headache, committing and unresponsive. The staff on the assessment unit had simply told us that from his admission which wa over 12 hours he hadn't eaten anything and was sleeping. We were outraged. How could they not respond to these critical symptoms, there appeared to be no or ineffective observations and only when we kicked off did they increase observations and transfer him to a ward.

Response from Bradford Royal Infirmary

I am sorry for your poor experience; it is not the standard of care we aim to provide. I can imagine that this was a frightening time for yourself and your family. I have shared your feedback with the matron for the unit, who is more than happy to speak to you about it if you wish to take it further. She can be contacted on 01274383348, thank you.