"Maternity physiotherapy experience"

About: Wishaw General Hospital / Maternity care

I was expecting my second baby and in December 2015 (23 weeks pregnant) I started to experience very bad pelvic pain to the point I could hardly walk after a day at work. I spoke to my midwife and she advised me to message the physio department at wishaw General to obtain an appointment. I sent the message and within a couple of days I was contacted to say I could come and attend a group physio session at the hospital the next week. At the session there was 7 of us and a physio who asked us individually what our symptoms were and she demonstrated exercises and tips to help with pelvic pain and what we could do to avoid it getting any worse. I found this really helpful and the simple exercises and tips for getting in and out of bed/car helped my pain massively. I was concerned that it was going to get worse as the pregnancy progressed but when I started doing the pelvic rocking, using the gym ball and paying attention to how I was getting in and out of bed and the car and using the tips shown my pelvic pain started to get better and within a couple of weeks was completely gone.

Response from Claire Rae, Physiotherapy Lead, Wishaw General Hospital, NHS Lanarkshire

Dear Lanarkshiremum

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your comments online. I am very pleased that our physiotherapy service has been of benefit to you and eased your symptoms during your pregnancy. Your comments will be passed onto to the team who will be delighted with your positive feedback.

Thanks again