"Staff OK, but absolutely horrible reception staff"

About: University College Hospital

I came to UCLH A and E because I was having a miscarriage at 12 weeks gestation. I had been told to come in by the UCLH maternity helpline and UCLH antenatal. The receptionist was unbelievably rude to me - asked me why I was there, and asked why I hadn't gone to the MFAU (which is only for 14 weeks+). Their tone to me was awful. They said "well if you are after a scan they won't do that tonight". I explained I wasn't "after" anything, I was just doing what I had been told to do.

Eventually I saw a triage nurse who was very nice, but I often find this with the NHS - the medical staff are good but the receptionists are terrible. That person cannot have a shred of empathy or even human feeling to behave like that to someone going through something so emotional.

Response from University College Hospital

Thank you for taking the time to feed back to us. We are very sorry to hear about your recent experience of the Reception Staff at UCLH. We would be grateful if you could contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) via pals@uclh.nhs.uk or by calling 020 3447 3042 so that we can look into this.