"Cancelled on the day"
About: Derriford Hospital Derriford Hospital Plymouth PL6 8DH
Posted by Anonymous
I was told to turn up at the hospital at 7 am which I did and I went through all the necessary paperwork checks. I was told by the surgeon that I was to stay In overnight (which was fine) but then 5 minutes later told by the anesthetist that because there were no beds I could go home In the afternoon on a 1.5 hour drive providing all was ok. I didn't mind this to much either to be honest but then the surgeon came back in after and said that after a big "briefing" they didn't want me to go home but the surgery may not happen anyway as there were no beds...this was at 10 am. I then watched numerous people go in and out of the holding pen but then at 12pm I was told to get changed which I did in to my gown only to be told an hour and half later at 130pm that it was cancelled as not enough beds!
My questions are
How does a national service not know they have no beds available the day before...(surely you should plan for say 60% capacity then the other 40% is filled by on the day things) and wouldn't a phone call the day before be nice so I didn't have to waste a day.
Who is going to pay my day off of work, my wifes day off of work, my car parking fee and my diesel? One 20p minute phone call could of stopped all of that.
and finally not related to me but to the staff...the poor nurses did a great job on the fal ward of keeping people moving, keeping people informed of what was going on, answering phone calls and requests, yet I didn't see one of them take a breather or a break and were rushed off of their feet for the 7 hours I was in there...you need more staff and help as accidents will happen and the duty of care to your staff and nurses should be key..