"My recent stay in Lincoln Hospital"

About: Lincoln County Hospital / General surgery

After being told to be in the admission unit in Lincoln county hospital in morning for 7. 30 am I actually went down for my operation just before lunch time. After a 6 hour operation to my neck I woke in recovery to be told that there wasn't a bed ready for me so I had to wait on a very uncomfortable bed for what felt like hours and in fact it was.

Eventually I was taken to Clayton ward around 8 o'clock at night.

My husband had been waiting and was soon allowed to see me, he had to ask a few times if it was possible for me to have a drink as I hadnt had one all day and when I asked for a extra pillow I was told that they didnt have any.

The nurse on that night was good but because of the operation I had I should of been propped up more and was quite uncomfortable all night with very little sleep.

I didn't get asked if I needed any help going to the bathroom so I decided to go by myself and then I got asked what I wanted for breakfast, with a paralised face and hardly been able to speak it was either toast or cereal not the best choice for someone with staples in and a drain in the neck and having to drink through a straw.

So after being told by my surgeon I would be in hospital for 3 days not long after breakfast I was told my drain was coming out and if I wanted I could go home.

A consultant came and saw the state of my face but just prescribed eye drops and told me to tape my eye lid down when I went to bed.

The next thing I knew I was being wheeled down to the discharge unit which seemed the other side of the hospital and was told to wait for my medication, luckily it was then I thought I had best ring my husband to tell him I had been moved and in fact I was ready to come home.

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear Vivivi,

I’m very sorry to hear about your poor experience on Clayton Ward and that the care you received was not up to the standard that we strive to deliver.

Could you email me your details (Averil.adams@ulh.nhs.uk) or phone me on Lincoln 573778 so that I can look into this further?

Kind Regards,