"Disgusting and untruthful!"

About: Peterborough City Hospital

My husband who is 78 years old has the misfortune to be on Ward A9. He is a very ill man and though I do acknowledge some staff are busy people on several occasions he has been left laying in his own liquid faeces though constantly ringing for help.to get out of bed. He was left in bed for five days until I told them he should not be left. It took then about five minutes to help him up to sit in a chair. Added to this a member of staff has been very untruthful in saying that he swore them which he did not. In exasperation he swore "about" laying in his own filth which I tackled the nurse about.

The icing on the cake was another member of staff went into his room just before they left off duty to tell him that their nurse was a good nurse.

This incident in the morning regarding the member of staff being untruthful had been laid to rest but though I know staff "stick together" how disgraceful to go to him at the end of the day and reignite the situation.

What a shocking way to treat old people.

All this is nothing short of harassment of a 78 year old who cannot get up and walk out.

Having said all that some of the staff are very kind and compassionate but some should not be working alongside the elderly.

Response from Lesley Crosby, Deputy Chief Nurse, Peterborough and Stamford Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

I am so sorry to read about you and your husbands experience and would urge you, if you have not done so already, to raise your concerns as a complaint, We would be keen to learn from your experience and ensure no other patient experiences the same thing.

Our complaints staff can be contacted on complaints@pbh-tr.nhs.uk