"Lincoln A+E misdiagnosis"

About: Lincoln County Hospital / Accident and emergency Lincoln County Hospital / Pain Management

(as a parent/guardian),

I visited a&e recently with my young child who had broken his elbow. It was very busy and although we had an hr wait, we were still seen within a timely manner. All the staff were lovely and helpful and made my son feel at ease.

Unfortunately we had to revisit the next day due to being unable to control his pain levels. To be told there is nothing that can be done.

On visiting fracture clinic the day after that my son was admitted for surgery. I have been told this should have happened on the first visit to A&E, worse still the dr who assessed him had not signed those notes and hadn't even documented in the next days notes. The orthopedic dr who assessed him had not even written in his notes. I feel let down by these drs, although I understand that misdiagnosis can occur I also understand the importance of clear documentation. If this had of been done properly and my sons injury properly assessed we could have been sorted and home with mimimal pain on the second days visit to A&E. Instead we are now on day 4 of severe pain awaiting his op.

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear ks2016,

I am deeply saddened to hear about your experience in the Emergency Department and apologise for this. This is not the standard of care we hope to provide.

If you are able to contact PALS (Patient Advice & Liaison Service) here at the hospital (Tel: 01522 707072) to inform them of your child’s name, I will be able to investigate this further and provide you with a full response.

With best regards,