"Endoscopy worries evaporated"

About: Pilgrim Hospital

I attended for an endoscopy with some trepidation.

I was sent from Lincoln area and knew nothing of Boston.

I was to have a procedure that I was very very anxious about and was really out of my comfort zone.

It was the day of the junior doctors strike and that made me even more anxious.

The car park was totally full and a bit of a nightmare, the ticket machine was playing up .

I was directed by the receptionists in the entry area to the unit took the stairs and found the door taped off for work within - the day wasn't going well.

I arrived at the unit eventually to be told my allocated room was running one hour behind schedule - do I go or make an excuse and bolt!

I was booked in by a member of staff and things started to improve they were very efficient and friendly and tried to allay my fears - it worked but just a little.

I decided to go non sedated as that scared me more than actually being in control.

I waited anxiously for my turn and then taken into to meet the doctor .

The whole procedure was explained I was put at ease and the endoscopy completed.

The doctor , members of staff and I think the assistant doctor were wonderful and I told them I would recommend them to my friends.

The banana tasting throat spray was not unpleasant , the endoscope was inserted into my throat and I can honestly say I hardly felt a thing and was so pleased I hadn't opted for the sedation route as I felt totally a part of the choices.

I did feel a bit of wriggling inside as the scope did its work but not an issue and the doctor kept me informed throughout of what was happening I could not believe it when I was told it was all over. I was shown the pics of my internal organs - not very often you get to see inside your own body.

I was taken to another room to complete my discharge and to be sure I was ok and then allowed home

Thank you to all at. Boston hospital you were amazing

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Many thanks for taking the time to post your feedback regarding your visit to the Endoscopy Unit. We appreciate that a visit to any hospital can be an anxious time for any patient, and on reading your story, it seems events leading up to you attending your appointment didn’t help, but we are pleased that on finally arriving at the Unit the staff here helped to ease your anxiety.

We will feedback your comments to our team, as we welcome all feedback, positive and negative, from our patients as this helps us to improve on our patient care and help in our aim to ensure that all patients are treated in a caring and professional manner.

Once again thank you for taking the time to share your story and your comments.

Many thanks,