"Attending a&e with my 4 day old son"

About: Hairmyres Hospital / Emergency department Scottish Ambulance Service / Emergency Ambulance

(as a parent/guardian),

My 4 day old son unfortunately choked on his sick one morning. In much of a panic my husband and I tried to help him but he wasn't catching his breath. I phoned an ambulance where I was greeted with a very professional and compassionate call handler. She talked me through what we had to do and stayed on the phone with me until the ambulance arrived. Once the paramedics arrived they swiftly. attended to my son and we were taken to Hairmyres a&e department where all staff were excellent. They kept us informed what was happening and no question was too much them. The paramedic even came back before they left to see how my son was.

Every member of staff we dealt with today from. the call handler to the Drs in hairmyres are a credit to the NHS. In a very stressful and upsetting situation for us we were put at ease and reassured our son was going to be ok. We couldn't ask for a better service.

Response from Pat O'Meara, National Head of Ambulance Control Services, Ambulance Control Centres, Scottish Ambulance Service

Dear lhan,

I was really pleased to hear that you had such a great experience when you called 999 for your son. If you would like me to feed back to the call handler concerned, please could you contact me on 0141 810 6101 so that I can get all of the details? It's also great to hear that your son has made a full recovery.

Regards,

Pat

Response from Lise Axford, Senior Nurse, Emergency Medicine, Hairmyres Hospital

Dear lhan

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience. I am pleased to hear that you were put at ease and reassured during such a stressful time. Your comments will be shared with all members of the team.

I hope that your son is making a good recovery.

Best Wishes

Lise

Dear lhan,

Thank you very much for calling earlier to let me know all of the details about your son's emergency. I will make sure that the call taker who dealt with the 999 call and the ambulance crew who looked after him get your fantastic feedback!

Pat