"Simple Sore throat Not, something called Quinsy"

About: Crawley Hospital / Urgent treatment centre East Surrey Hospital / Accident and emergency South East Coast Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust / NHS 111

I visited walk in at Crawley Hospital, receptionist advised I call 111 service who would arrange a timed appointment, I called 111 they answered very quickly, the lady who took my call was very helpful, she advised I would get a call back, which I did within 45 mins and had an appointment about 1 hour later.

Doctor at the appointment checked my symptoms and advised I go to A &E at East Surrey, I asked about overnight stay and she advised to take a bag just in case as it was likely they would keep me in, she gave me a letter to give to triage nurse. The wait to see triage was about an hour. The triage nurse was very helpful, very experienced she arranged for my bloods to be tested and then to see ENT Junior Doctor. Triage nurse made sure this was all arranged before she left to see the next patient. I was advised at about 19. 30 that I would have to stay in overnight. Junior Doctor apologised a number of times as she was still seeing other patients, I said now I knew I was staying in my friend could go home, and I needed the Junior Doctor more than she needed me.

The Indian Junior Doctor was excellent she explained exactly what was happening, why it was happening, why I needed to be kept in overnight. She passed on my information and shortly after one nurse took me up to a Tandridge Ward, I had a quiet room on one side and a bed to rest, the antibiotics in to the canula on my arm reduced the swelling.

The Doctor or ward and nurses did required checks. Following day consultant came in enquired how I felt etc, checked my throat, the swelling was much reduced so I could return home and continue antibiotics orally.

Response from Branita Mills, Matron, Surgery, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust

Dear Snazzmaster,

Thanky you for your feedback about your positive experience at East Surrey Hospital.

I am glad that you found the staff helpful and reassuring and hope your recovery continues.

Kind Regards

Branita Mills

Response from Louise Hutchinson, Patient Experience Lead, South East Coast Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Snazzmaster

Thank you for taking the time to feed back about the health services you received recently when you had a sore throat. It was really pleasing to read that your call to 111 was answered very quickly, that the health adviser who took your call was very helpful, and that a referral was made and everything went smoothly.

It is gratifying to receive complimentary feedback, as all too often what we see in the media portrays health services in a negative light, so to hear positive news from patients themselves is very much appreciated.

Thank you again and I hope you are now fully recovered from this episode.

Yours sincerely, Louise Hutchinson

• Snazzmaster thinks this response is helpful