"Why does it take so long to get an MRI scan?"

About: Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

On 13th January 2016 I had an appointment with a consultant at the Community ENT clinic because of sudden hearing loss.

The consultant requested an MRI scan at Addenbrookes'.

I finally received an appointment for the scan on 19th April, more than 3 months later.

On 4th May 2016, more than 2 weeks after the scan, the ENT clinic had still not received the scan.

This seems like an exceptionally relaxed approach to making appointments and providing the results.

I have the impression that younger acquaintances who have had MRI scans at Addenbrookes have received faster turnaround than this (I am 72), and I wonder if it is their policy to give low priority to older patients, or if my experience is usual?

Response from Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your wait for an MRI scan and to receive the results.

It is not our policy to give lower priority to older patients - care is prioritised on the basis of clinical need and the waiting times will reflect this.

We would be happy to look into your case and respond to you personally if you would be able to provide a few details - please contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service on 01223 216756 or email pals@addenbrookes.nhs.uk.

Complaints and PALS Manager