"removed from surgery list after 40 years"

About: NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde

I was with my doctor's practice for around 40 years. I was on diazepam for around 28 of those years. Around 18 months ago. I was getting my usual prescription for diazepam It was less than usual. I asked why. They looked up and said that is the way it is then waved me out of the door. I was shocked.

Got drunk and phoned the practise up. Must have been a nasty call. I have no memory of it. Got a letter sacking me after 40 years as a patient. Tried to find out why. Phoned up. Got a practice manager who was only interested in getting me off the phone.

I drank heavily to get over the anxiety of no diazepam and ended up being arrested for my own safety.

Dear Maryhi,

I am really sorry to read this as I can understand the frustration you would have felt when your prescription was changed without this being talked through with you fully, and can see how this has progressed into a really distressing situation for you.

You mentioned that you already tried to speak with the Practice Manager for your GP Practice, which would be the way that I would normally encourage you to take up your complaint. As this didn't go well previously, I would recommend that you contact the Patient Advice and Support Service. They are an independent organisation which provide a completely free service to provide support in helping you raise your concerns and to have your complaint recorded and dealt with. I think this would be a really positive step forward for you, and would be able to give you the much more personal support that we can't provide through Patient Opinion. The Patient Advice and Support Service can be contacted by phone on 0141 775 3220, or through your local Citizens Advice Bureau. The link to their website is here also, so you can have a look and see if you think they would be able to help - http://www.patientadvicescotland.org.uk/.

I hope that this information helps to start to move things along a bit more for you and I wish you all the best.

• Maryhi thinks this response is helpful

Update posted by Maryhi (the patient)