"Poor care for fractured foot"

About: Crosshouse Hospital / Accident & Emergency

Attended with a fractured foot. Nurse did not offer a wheelchair, even though it was obvious I could not weight-bear. Told me to walk to X-Ray. They noticed my foot was bare as it was too swollen to get any shoe on - they looked and said' I wouldn't walk around here with a bare foot, you never know what you'll pick up from this floor! ! Didn't even offer me anything to cover my foot! After they had bandaged my fracture they then repeated that I shouldn't walk around bare-footed! I had to ask for one of those blue plastic overshoes. I feel I experienced uncaring and unhelpful staff from start to finish.

Dear Eala,

Nothing I say will change your feeling that you were treated in an uncaring way but I hope you accept my apology. I am sorry you felt let down during your visit to A/E. I will pass this to the team for their reflection and learning.

I do hope your foot heals quickly and it is not too much of a burden during its recovery time.

Eunice

• Eala thinks this response is helpful

Update posted by Eala (the patient)

Dear Eunice,

May I say how nice it was to receive your response and apology. It made all the difference, to know you took the time to respond.

Best regards

eala

Update posted by Eala (the patient)

This story gets worse! I attended the Acute Fracture Clinic 7 days after my visit to A&E and I was told by the medical staff that I SHOULD NOT have been sent home with a mere Tubigrip! My foot should have been immobilised. There's now a possibility of further damage to my foot and nerve damage because I was told by the A&E Nurse to go home and force a shoe on and keep walking about! I have a three week wait to find out. I'm considering my options now as I feel this is negligence.

Dear Eala,

I am so sorry, this must be concerning (and frustrating) for you. Into the bargain, we have blotted our copy book again in a big way. I am very keen that we share learning from this situation to make sure it does not happen again. We can initiate this in several ways. If you wish to raise a complaint through the complaints process, you can call us in 0800 169 1441. Another option is that you could contact me on 01563 826222 or email me at eunice.goodwin@aapct.scot.nhs.uk and with more details about you, we can look into it. Should you wish to discuss this with senior managers, I can arrange that for you. I would like to reassure you that whatever your choice of action, this will be brought to the attention of the senior management team for their reflection and their action.

I hope you do not have any negative impact as a result of your lack of mobilization and your foot recovers fully and rapidly.

Dear Eala,

Having raised this with the Senior Management team, they too are very concerned about your experience and they have asked me to try to encourage you to get in touch with me so we can investigate it fully for both you and us.

If you decide not to contact me, it is entirely your choice and that is absolutely fine although I would like to reassure you that if you do contact us, it will not have any adverse impact on any other actions you may want to take. Should you decide to contact us and allow us to look into it will not affect your right to complain at a later point or if your choice is to go to litigation, this will not affect your position either.

We sincerely want to reflect and take on board any learning from your unfortunate (and painful) experience. Once again, I hope you are healing properly now.

Kind regards,

Contact details - 01563 826222 or email me at eunice.goodwin@aapct.scot.nhs.uk

Response from Eunice Goodwin, Patient Feedback Manager for NHS Ayrshire and Arran, Quality Improvement and Governance Team, NHS Ayrshire and Arran We have made a change

Dear Eala,

Thank you for contacting me about this very important issue. I am delighted to say that this has resulted in some excellent actions.

This situation will be discussed with the team at both Ayr and Crosshouse Emergency Departments (anonymously of course). It will also be an agenda item at the clinical governance meeting. (This is the meeting that, as it says, governs procedure and is a very important one).

Please also be reassured that we are already undertaking a full review of the guidance on all fractures, including immobilisation and follow-up intervals. One of the senior management team will be in touch to discuss it directly with you too.

Again, may I say how sorry I am that you had this experience but I hope this is a satisfactory outcome and it reassures you that we have taken steps to prevent it happening again.

I hope you are well now,