"Painful hysteroscopy"

About: Lister Hospital / Gynaecology

I recently had to have a hysterosopy and found it to be THE most painful, inhumane treatment I have ever experienced. I received a letter advising me to have some pain relief an hour before, which led me to believe that it would be uncomfortable. I had no idea I was going to experience the most traumatic experience.

I had biopsies taken without any kind of pain relief, except a kind nurse holding my hand. The pain I felt was indescribable. For days afterwards I was sore and in a significant amount of discomfort. This procedure should be done under general anesthetic or at least local. Never again.

Response from Peter Gibson, Associate director, public affairs, East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust

We're really sorry that your experience was not a good one; we'd very much like to get this followed up for you as there sounds like there some aspects of your care that need addressing. If that's something you would like us to do, then please email us at generalenquiries.enh-tr@nhs.net so we can arrange for this to happen.