"care of the dying"

About: Charing Cross Hospital

Geoffrey Smith died in your hospital April 10 2016.He had been ill for a while. I was with him. The nursing staff, in particular were amazing. We all knew he had only a matter of hours to live, but never did they treat him as if he didn't have years ahead of him. One nurse in particular was wonderful. They had met Geoffrey earlier in the week on another ward. Shortly before he died, this nurse and another nurse came to make him comfortable. They said to me " Geoffrey is fine as long as I tell him what I am doing" They kept up a positive chat while checking him. His feet were mottled, this nurse massaged them. They left the room and came back with a fresh pillow for him, chatting to him all the while. The nurse and I knew the end was near, but they cared for him in the most caring way. I and Geoffrey's family will never be able to thank them enough.This nurse is just amazing, so thank you.

Response from Charing Cross Hospital

Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust would firstly like to offer our sincere condolences to you and Mr Smith’s family on your loss.

We would like to thank you for taking the time to post your experience regarding our Urgent Care Centre at Charing Cross Hospital.

Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) has passed on your comments to the relevant service managers.

Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust appreciates and values your comments at this time of sadness.